Monday, August 22, 2011

Snail Shell

I understood from the Appalachian Trail that I should lack expectations for the future and be ever open to alternative routes. Good thing I was prepared because last night around a bonfire at John's house, his girlfriend Lauren expressed a deep concern for my travelling by bicycle up to Sturgeon Bay. While there was no concern about the three months to follow, she clarified to me that she would not allow it. Being more inclined to appease than to argue, I told her I'd sleep on it and inform her, come sunrise.

At about 7:30, my brother creaked open the door to the basement and grumbled down to me that he got the day off and that he and Lauren were going to drive me up to the eastern terminus after breakfast. I thought for a moment about the dissonance coming from the bike with each pedal, the entirely-too-short frame, and the the lack of space to carry my pack on the bike. All things considered, an easy choice. Plus, my anticipation for the beginning of another journey burgeons every minute. I had to start soon.

So, in about a half hour, we'll leave the bike behind, and drive up to Door County. It will be a sojourn for them and the commencement of a full-on adventure for me. It's been good to pass time around Oconomowoc and to visit with old friends and John. I'll see them all again in a few weeks as the trail will lead me to within only a few miles of where I sit right now.

I intend also to write a post about the trip back to Oconomowoc and the time spent here. For now, I have to pack up the last of my belongings into my snail shell of a backpack, and head to the Trail.

2 comments:

  1. I knew from the start I loved Lauren! What a sensible and generous young woman. I will hike easier today and sleep well tonight knowing you are not peddling the highways to the Ice Age trail head. John and Lauren will, no doubt, enjoy this day as much as you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can still use the bike mikey! We'll drop it on the trail that's close to your house and you can ride it home for a quick meal and a shower!

    ReplyDelete